For our first ever Festive Feature on Mad Mackerel, we asked twelve of our favourite bands and artists of 2011 to answer twelve questions and we will publish them over the next twelve days taking us up to Christmas Eve.
If 2009’s debut Everything’s For Sale marked Welsh blues rocking duo Henry’s Funeral Shoe out as one to watch, this year’s follow up Donkey Jacket certainly delivered in spades. From the massive riffs and heavy percussion, the fuzzy distortion and reverb, and the unashamedly sleazy blues licks it was a stomping, visceral record that was exactly as exciting, as energetic and as downright thrilling as we’d hoped for.
Donkey Jacket needs a place on your shelves – file between the Black Keys and ZZ Top!
1) Three iconic clashes. Who would you vote for in each of these?
a) The Velvet Underground or The Doors?
Not fussed on either band… The Doors because they had a song in Lost Boys. It was some band covering the song but I love that film and it brings back good memories.
b) Bob Dylan or Neil Young?
Jesus! Impossible to chose. Sorry! If this was “If I had gun to your head” you’d have to shoot me.
c) The Sex Pistols or the Clash?
Hmmm, I’ll go with the Sex Pistols.
Apart from the birth of my son, I’d say the release of our 2nd album and how well its been received.
3) What was your low point of the year?
Not had one. Musically its been smashing for us.
4) You can give one single album from 2011 to just one person for Christmas. What would you buy and who for?
Immortal Technique’s Revolutionary Vol. 1. I’d give it to David Cameron.
5) Give us between two and five songs from 2011 that you’d recommend as the best of the year.
Street Joy – White Denim
Mushroom Story – Todd Snider
Dirty Hustling – Jimbo Mathus
Stomp & Holler – Hayes Carll
Kmag Yoyo – Hayes Carll
6) Do you have a favourite Christmas Carol – why?
‘Rocking Around the Christmas Tree’, because a Christmas tree was made for rocking around.
7) Imagine you are snowed in and stuck in an isolated house in the woods for Christmas with no way out. Wolves and bears are prowling outside.You need to recommend the following:
Killing In The Name Of
A song to terrify Grandma
Misery Is The River Of The World
A traditional song to help send Grandad to sleep
A song for someone just waking from a five-year coma
Save Me Jesus
A book to frighten the children
House of Leaves
An unforgettable film to watch
8) What is top of your Christmas list this year?
Snow, because it brings chaos then calm.
9) What is the worst Christmas present you’ve ever given and/or ever received?
Worst received was a nail file kit.
Worst given was a cheap fake gold bracelet to my first girlfriend. I was 10! 🙂
10) Will you be making a New Year Resolution? If so can you share it and will you keep it? What is the stupidest New Year resolution you’ve ever made?
Never made one. If you want to do something don’t wait, get on with it.
11) Imagine you’re headlining a Christmas Concert at your favourite venue. You can share the stage with three other artists or bands (past or present) for the final encore of the night. Who would they be and what would you play?
Electricity. Peter Green, Neil Young and Howlin’ Wolf.
12) Can you write us a Christmas themed limerick (go on please have a go)?
Download Henry’s Funeral Shoe – Anvil And Chains mp3 (from Donkey Jacket)
Download Henry’s Funeral Shoe – Dog Scratched Ear mp3 (from Donkey Jacket)
Download Henry’s Funeral Shoe – Don’t Lose The Rhythm mp3 (from Everything’s For Sale)
Tomorrow: The Roadside Graves
Previously: Lovely Eggs (here), Twilight Hotel (here), Grass House (here), Hurray For The Riff Raff (here), Lonesome Wyatt & The Holy Spooks (here), Ohioan (here), Wooden Wand (here), Tom Williams & The Boat (here).Follow @madmackerel